Crufts Flyball

This area is for any other flyball(ish) related subject, not covered in the other areas.

Crufts Flyball

Postby HotShot Richie » 09 Mar 2012, 22:39

Hi all, Just a query..... I know that the flyball at Crufts is under KC rules and not BFA, but due to the very poor and ill spoken commentary on our very much loved sport, could the BFA not put together a letter of complaint to the KC about this. Not only is he insulting our sport, but also insulting our fellow teams AND friends. And it's only DAY 2. Dio they have something against Flyball??? Looking at other flyballers comments on FB, i'm sure everyone would support it.
And out of curioustity, why is it run under KC rules??? We're the BFA afterall, we run flyball, we DO flyball, it should be us telling them how it's done. Great racing tho by the way to all teams who are there.
HotShot Richie

Re: Crufts Flyball

Postby Claire Lucioni » 10 Mar 2012, 02:15

I do not think that the BFA should get involved with any complaint to do with commentators provided to the Kennel Club from the TV company, I think that should be left to either each person who knows about Flyball or the teams involved to complain to the KC themselves. Crufts is hosted by and entirely run by the Kennel Club and not by the BFA so hence why it is run by Kennel Club rules. As for telling the Kennel Club how to run their version of Flyball if you want to get an organisation such as them on board then you have to work with them not tell them what to do. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong but the BFA was set up some 20 odd years ago because some people didn't agree to the way in which flyball was being run by the KC then and wanted to take it more seriously. Ourselves, Four Paws, The Dons, and Ramsden all took part in a flyball demo at Discover Dogs which is also run by the KC. After 3 years of being involved with it so far we are up to getting them to allow us to use Four Paws BFA jumps, 2 minute warm ups or to run six dogs back and then up the lane at least once. This year we are even being allowed to advertise all BFA flyball registored teams should the BFA committee allow it (I will ask you I promise). The demo used to be put on usually at around 12 but due to the growing popularity of it its now been moved to about 2pm each day and top billing along with Mary Ray. Last year some 27500 people went through the doors at Discover Dogs and the most watched demo on the day as well as on you tube was us flyballers. Along the way somewhere between us we even managed to get the KC qualifier reinstated in the home counties so some more teams now get the chance to qualify should they want. I think that if you start telling the governing body what to do be it the BFA or the KC then their will only be one loser and thats the sport itself.
Claire Lucioni

Postby HotShot Richie » 10 Mar 2012, 13:12

Fair enough, and like i said it was only a query. I don't really see why the KC rules for flyball have to vary so much from the BFA, as far as i know, and i could be wrong, the KC don't hold flyball tournaments, i've certainly not been to any, apart from KC shows like Discover Dogs, and Crufts, and they're done by BFA teams. I understand these things are all done to a time limit, so there is no time for warm ups, run backs etc, and it can't be done as a actual competition, and there is nothing wrong with the way it's done, i do see it as a 'posh' demo, but there are maybe a few things that the KC could be corrected on. Like a dog knocking over a jump is NOT a fault etc. But what has annoyed me the most is the commentator. If a person knows nothing about something, then don't commentate on it, and that has got something to do with the KC.
He has done nothing but take the piss out of our sport, and insulted ore fellow teams, and our friends. All i'm asking is, could we as an association, say something along the lines off, if the commentator can't say anything positive about our sport, and just insults the teams, the dogs, and anything that comes to mind, then maybe he should not say anything. If there he's personal opinions, he should keep them to himself, and not out loud. The KC does have control, they can say, sorry, your not commentating on that anymore.
HotShot Richie

Postby MargaretCollingwood » 11 Mar 2012, 20:32

Gotta say I agree with Richie that the commentary was just dreadful, and misleading. In fact it made me wonder if everything else I watched on tv from CRUFTS was just as poorly narrated. I don't know the rules of other dog sports, so until now, what is said on the box is what I tended to believe.
MargaretCollingwood

Postby DavidAnderson10 » 12 Mar 2012, 00:06

I have raced the last two years at Crufts with Teesdale Tornados and I wont be going again. Each year they change the rules when you get there, this year they completley change the rules on crossovers on finals day. They do not allow a warm up and there is no where to exercise your dogs, it is a show which is designed to make money, they have no intrest in flyball as a sport and they have no interest in the welefare of our dogs, stick to BFA. :evil:
DavidAnderson10

Postby kaw9 » 12 Mar 2012, 11:53

Crufts flyball was generally a different sport with the old box. When they changed to the BFA style this was the only element of BFA they took on. No lights, or height differences in jumps.
Next year each team will also have to have an ABC dog also.
Broxburn used to be an old style box team and with the change we took up BFA as saltires. This was my first experience of crufts and whilst I enjoyed it I much prefer BFA. Decisions have to be made quickly and by eye at crufts which as we all saw allowed some controversial decisions. Flyball is given a short time in the arena and is made shorter still if the ring is running late putting all involved under pressure.
I too believe a 2 min warm up should be allowed. Even with everything that went on though, teams were generally united in briefings showing their concerns over various issues, kept their cool even when upset by some parts and raced well. I would like to thanks all teams we raced and the positive I took from the whole experience was the sportsmanship. Teams congratulating each other and going to the final and supporting those teams that had knocked them out in previous rounds.
Hopefully the use of lights will be reviewed.
kaw9

Postby kbakershootingstars » 12 Mar 2012, 20:33

Forgive me for being thick!!! but I've have just looked at the rules & regs on Kennel Club website. It states their rules are amended each January, but the current rules don't state that the team has to contain an A.B.C dog. Surely the Kennel Club aren't going to change the rules as the qualifiers will be starting shortly.

Kerry
Shooting Stars
kbakershootingstars

Postby davidflood » 12 Mar 2012, 21:09

Somebody posted a link to a kennel club page stating that teams would have to have an ABC competing dog in but your right, there appears to be nothing in the KC rule book for 2012??

I also have another query, the first YKC qualifier for crufts 2013 is 5th May but it appears the adult one is on May 7th???

YKC http://www.ykc.org.uk/files/kclub-ykc/F ... 202012.pdf

Adult http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/downloa ... s-2012.pdf

David
Fenland Firestorm
davidflood

Postby davidflood » 12 Mar 2012, 21:14

I have found it but it is on the olympia flyball rules????? stranger and stranger!!!!

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/downloa ... s-2012.pdf

:?

David
Fenland Firestorm
davidflood

Postby kaw9 » 12 Mar 2012, 22:57

I saw a link someone posted on fb and several current crufts teams were sent new rules. The abc dog had to be an active member of the team so unless yOu are 100% confident with that dog then you prib need two abc dogs in case one gets injured or doesn't cope with the crufts environment.
kaw9

Next

Return to General Flyball