RULE CLARIFICATION

Discussions, queries and suggestions regarding BFA Rules and Policies

Re: RULE CLARIFICATION

Postby ForgyPete » 09 Aug 2012, 22:36

That's the problem.....everyone applies the rule as they see and not everyone applies it the same. That's why it's a rule and should be followed as written to save the confusion!!!
ForgyPete

Postby Vix » 09 Aug 2012, 22:46

i personally have never seen nor heard of an issue with that rule, what has your experience been?
Storm Chasers
Vix

Postby Kuri of Awatuna » 10 Aug 2012, 14:30

ForgyPete wrote:That's the problem.....everyone applies the rule as they see and not everyone applies it the same. That's why it's a rule and should be followed as written to save the confusion!!!

Hi Pete,

I was under the impression that the rule is consistently applied (at least usually), it was only the wording that was in question? Most people who have responded seem to indicate that it is well understood what is intended, and apply the rule as such. I thought that your query was about the conflicting wording, which I agree requires clarifying.

I think that quite a few of the replies have missed the point about the wording...
Kuri of Awatuna

Postby ForgyPete » 10 Aug 2012, 21:15

You are right, the wording of the rule is being overlooked in favour of individuals personal opinion which is the problem.

I have personally seen the conflict of this rule 3 times in only 2 tournaments where an individuals opinion has sided with their interpretation of the rule and when I have sided with the other part of the rule this has been overruled despite the " actual rule" being quite specific.

I am not being awkward or want a mass debate, I simply want proper clarification on what is a rule written I basic English!!!
ForgyPete

Postby Heather » 10 Aug 2012, 22:03

Hi
I have been following the debate with interest. I read the rule slightly differently
"does not trigger the box and takes the ball from the cup"
what someone else suggested as "stealing the ball" :?
Heather

Postby Northdene » 13 Aug 2012, 14:11

I can only go on what a Head Judge once said which was if the ball falls out of the box when boxloading, don't replace the ball, often the dog will still hit the box not realising the balls on the floor, trigger the box, then fetch the ball back.

The dogs gone over the jumps, triggered the box and fetched the correct ball back was his reasoning.

I've seen this happen in comps but usually a fault is given.

Only repeating what I was told, I for certain have no definitive knowledge of rules and interpretations.
Northdene

Postby davidflood » 13 Aug 2012, 18:14

I agree that the rule needs adjusting at the next AGM but my understanding of it is that the ball must be in the cup at the point of the dog triggering it or it is a fault.

What happens to the ball after that doesnt matter, whether it is stolen, caught or fumbled, so long as it was in the cup at the time of triggering that is all the rule asks.

David Flood
Fenland Firestorm
davidflood

Previous

Return to Rules & Policies