Crufts Flyball

This area is for any other flyball(ish) related subject, not covered in the other areas.

Re: Crufts Flyball

Postby ttc546 » 13 Mar 2012, 12:47

Genuine questions here - I am trying to understand the purpose of Crufts Flyball, why so separate from the BFA, so perhaps someone could enlighten me. As it seems to be only a small number of teams and events, is its purpose to promote Flyball all across the country, as a genuine sport, or just as an entertainment to the Crufts Show?

I have already received quite a few enquries from the general public to join our club since the Crufts weekend, but obviously we are a BFA club, not a Crufts club. All good news for us anjd for the BFA, but a bit of an own goal for Crufts Flyball.

Is there consultation between representatives of Crufts Flyball and the BFA as to guidelines and rules and goals? I just dont understand why Crufts Flyball doesn't follow the BFA setup and rules if the general public end up at BFA Clubs? It kinda doesn't make sense and wonder who the Flyball rep is in the KC that has all this required knowledge. Is this person an Ex-BFA member? How do they keep up to date with Flyball developments?

Apart from the long overdue requirement for lights on the line (we have all watched a Div 1 races at the Champs and there are few people who can judge by eye some of the exciting finishes there), there seems so much that they could piuck up from BFA running of things anmd would make it more interesting for the public to watch ...

Would it be an idea for a BFA representative to assist the BBC in commentating, at least to act as the "expert", whilst PeterP can act as the lead-in?

Is there a need for a "Crufts Flyball" rules and regs?

So many questions and so much confusion really.
Chris
Flyball dogs - Milly, Tosca, Harry, Breagh, Freya
ttc546

Postby bessamour » 13 Mar 2012, 13:07

Crufts flyball is more a fun thing for the spectators at Crufts, as it is the most popular "exhibition" at Crufts and it draws the crowds.
No one gains any points, and handlers and dogs can be from various BFA teams. Crufts is Crufts, and by competing at Crufts you get free tickets for the show and you can take your dog(s) with you. :D :D :D (and see yourself on the tele :D :D :D )

I heard (don't know if it's true or not), that the rule for dog's changeovers were changed during the racing at Crufts from crossovers at the posts, (nose to nose as in BFA racing), to coming-back dog's whole body through the posts before going-in dog goes through the posts.

Peter Purvis alas, has never tried to learn what flyball is about, and every year makes stupid mistakes, either concerning the racing, the results, names of teams and where they come from, to the breeds of dogs running. Why can't they have a BFA member doing the commentating? There are some very good folks out there who have commentated during BFA racing at public venues.

It also shows people what flyball is and that if they have a dog, they can go try it out at a local club.
Valerie
Kate, Billie and Shannon
Sheffield Flyball Teams

"Words that soak into your dog's ears are whispered...not yelled"
"Don't blame the dog - train the dog!"
bessamour

Postby BCBrie » 13 Mar 2012, 15:53

bessamour wrote:Peter Purves alas, has never tried to learn what flyball is about, and every year makes stupid mistakes, either concerning the racing, the results, names of teams and where they come from, to the breeds of dogs running. Why can't they have a BFA member doing the commentating? There are some very good folks out there who have commentated during BFA racing at public venues.

I was talking to my dad (and possibly a team mate.. I don't really remember lol) saying that Sam should be commentator for it :D
Last edited by BCBrie on 13 Mar 2012, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
BCBrie

Postby trooper_dolphin » 13 Mar 2012, 16:07

His name is Peter Purves. :?
Steve Lee
Deva Dogmatix
trooper_dolphin

Postby bessamour » 13 Mar 2012, 16:20

Purves. OK:

Peter Purves alas, has never tried to learn what flyball is about, and every year makes stupid mistakes, either concerning the racing, the results, names of teams and where they come from, to the breeds of dogs running. Why can't they have a BFA member doing the commentating? There are some very good folks out there who have commentated during BFA racing at public venues.

Better? :D :D :D :D
Valerie
Kate, Billie and Shannon
Sheffield Flyball Teams

bessamour

Postby Border Collies » 14 Mar 2012, 20:01

He makes the same mistakes when commentating the Agility. I couldn't watch the Flyball this year, as my Internet was down and I could only pick up little bits here and there, but the mistakes he makes in Agility are hilarious and I find them rather entertaining. Oooops, sorry. :o

I think he is hired by the channel which is broadcasting and not by the KC?
Border Collies

Postby HotShot Richie » 14 Mar 2012, 21:06

Going back to to what 'ttc546' said, it is more like a demo. Nothing else, i'm sure beacuse the teams all know eachother, it doesn't really matter either, we are all friends afterall. But it was what the commentator was saying that i found really bad. I understand that he is on behalf of the broadcasting channel, and not the KC, otherwise they'd just have the commentator thats in the arena, but i'm sure the KC could say to him, or who ever is commentating for the channel, This is what they're doing, these are the rules, these are the teams, and please keep any personal opinions to yourself. Coz afterall, thats really all he was doing, voicing he's own personal opinions, not worrying about who was listening, and who he was insulting.
I agree that the KC should keep up with BFA rules, i undertsand they're on a time limit, and 2 min warm up at every race is quite a time added up, but still, add lights, let it be tight changes, let it be BFA racing.
HotShot Richie

Postby davidflood » 14 Mar 2012, 21:09

Email from the Kennel Club

Thank you for your e-mail. You are correct that the new Crufts flyball heat competition rules require at least one dog not to be a collie. These are the specific rules for the Crufts qualifiers and not for all competitions, which is why this is not included in the Agility and Flyball Regulations.

The adult qualifiers will be on May 5th the same as the YKC as well

David
Fenland Firestorm
davidflood

Postby frisbena » 15 Mar 2012, 00:50

Don't suppose they happened to qualify what they mean by 'an active member of the team' ... this could be anything from running every leg to having run one leg in the competition.

They also state in those 'rules' that it should not be a collie cross either, look forward to the various opinions on what is a collie cross! Have seen many a dog that I know has a collie parent but look nothing like collies and dogs which have no collie in them but you could easily them mistake for being collie crosses. :roll:
frisbena

Postby bessamour » 15 Mar 2012, 11:16

I'm confused (it sometimes happens :D )

They say Quote: "Crufts flyball heat competition rules require at least one dog not to be a collie. These are the specific rules for the Crufts qualifiers and not for all competitions, which is why this is not included in the Agility and Flyball Regulations."unquote.

What do they mean "not for all competitions?" The KC don't have flyball competitions! They have qualifiers and the Crufts demo/comp. Or am I missing something? :oops: Duh
Valerie
Kate, Billie and Shannon
Sheffield Flyball Teams

bessamour

PreviousNext

Return to General Flyball